Edo Govt Welcomes Davido, Denies Ban on Singer

The Edo State Government has dismissed reports that popular Nigerian music star, David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has been banned from entering the state, describing the claim as false and the work of individuals seeking to create unnecessary tension.

The state Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Prince Kassim Afegbua, in a statement, said the government had no involvement in any purported ban and reaffirmed Edo State’s position as a welcoming home to all Nigerians, irrespective of their political affiliation, beliefs or associations.

According to him, “We did not ban Davido from entering Edo State. The proclaimer of that ban is an enemy of Edo State; an impostor and a fraud.”

Afegbua said the Edo State Government strongly dissociated itself from what he described as spiteful behaviour, stressing that the state remained open to people from all backgrounds.

He further disclosed that the government would be willing to collaborate with Davido should the award-winning artiste decide to perform in Edo State in the future.

“Should Davido intend to perform in Edo State in future, the state will be willing to collaborate and partner with him,” he stated.

The commissioner described Davido as one of Nigeria’s illustrious sons, noting that the singer has strong family ties to Edo State through his mother.

He said Governor Monday Okpebholo remained committed to maintaining harmony among the various demographic groups in the state, regardless of their political leanings.

“Davido is one of our illustrious sons, whose mother hails from Edo State. He is exemplary, and we are pleased to associate with him. Should he wish to visit Edo State, we would happily host and fete him,” Afegbua said.

He explained that whatever transpired between Davido and political actors in Osun State during the recent election was purely political and should not be interpreted as a personal dispute or as representing the position of the Edo State Government.

Afegbua also commended Davido for his contribution to Nigeria’s global image through his music, describing him as one of the country’s international ambassadors who has continued to build bridges across social and political divides.

“As a government, we are pleased with his conduct, commitment and calculated conquest in the music industry. Indeed, we look forward to him being awarded a Grammy title,” he added.

The Edo Government therefore urged members of the public to disregard reports suggesting that Davido had been barred from entering or visiting the state, assuring that Edo remained a home for all.

Previous Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *